Thursday, February 7, 2008

In response to Ryan's blog. I agree that we what we put in our bodies is our choice. I also agree that there are worse things out there then red bull and gatorade that are much harder to stay away from. I often find myself having this same argument when people tell me that a certain thing causes cancer I seem to always respond the same way, "Everything causes cancer." But I choose to live my life regardless. This is also the case when my parents used to tell me that I couldn't do something because I might get hurt. Like the time I climbed out of my window onto the roof of the porch... no it's not flat, and it probably wasn't a very good idea. My sister told my mom and they both ran outside to yell at me. They said I could have been killed and I said... "I get in the car with you don't I?" No one wants to live in fear. I choose to do risky things so that when I do actually die, whether I fall of the roof or get cancer, I can say I had a good time.



1 comment:

ECF said...

This is often a very contentious issue--at what point do we no longer have the right to choose what we do with our own bodies? We see this debate in a number of hotly contested subjects: the "obesity epidemic", smoking, abortion, illegal narcotics, etc. Often this comes into play when the choices we make might have some effect on, or place additional costs upon, other people (one of the reasons that many people are opposed to the idea of nationalized health care).